The Department of Microbiology & Immunology is seeking a highly qualified and motivated –80% part time Research Associate to start on September 15, 2017 under the supervision of Dr. Robert (Bob) Hancock. This position is funded through a recently funded CIHR/NSERC CHRP team grant project “Universal anti-biofilm coating solutions for uretal stents”. The successful candidate will join the Hancock research group and will work with novel peptide therapeutics and tethered peptides that have anti-microbial activity and/or target inflammation. This position involves experimental bench work, writing scientific manuscripts and presenting results at national and international conferences. For additional information about the Hancock lab and the department, please visit http://www.cmdr.ubc.ca/bobh/ and https://microbiology.ubc.ca/
Qualifications and experience: PhD in a relevant discipline and a minimum of five years of postdoctoral research experience. Track record of publishing in top-level, peer-reviewed journals. Demonstrated expertise in biochemical, biophysical and cell biology techniques. Demonstrated experience in NMR and mass spectrometry. Demonstrated ability to work productively in a collaborative research team. Additional experience required:
- Experience in working with cationic peptides
- Familiar with aseptic techniques, and working with level II microorganisms
- Experience with bacterial pathogens including Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter baumannii, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus
- Strong knowledge of molecular biology techniques/procedures
- Experience with MICs, membrane assays an asset
- Strong knowledge of bacteriological, immunological techniques and tissue culture methods considered an asset
- Experience with designing peptides and structure function methods an asset
- Experience supervising/mentoring graduate/undergraduate students an asset
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Compensation and Benefits. The minimum starting salary for UBC Research Associates is $55,258 (Cad) per year plus eligible benefits, with the possibility of annual increases and contract extensions. Salary will be commensurate with experience, and pro-rated for 80% time.
To Apply: Please submit a CV, a short (one-two-page) description of research interests and contact information for three references by September 15, 2017. Please submit applications to Susan Farmer by e-mail at email@example.com